Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Back to Life

On Wednesday January 11, 2012 at 7:42 PM EST I submitted the last business school application I will ever complete! Cue the "Hallelujah" music and release the doves! As God is my witness, I will never apply to b-school again!

Dramatic? Yes. Justified? Hell freaking yeah! As I come out of the fog that was application season, I realize that I have been at this MBA game in some way, shape, or form since January 2011 (actually August 2010, but not in earnest).  Hmm...let's see. It's January 2012 now, so that would be one full year of my life dedicated to getting my arse into school.  One year of GMAT studying, school research, essay writing, recommender prep, school visits, avoiding essays with hours of Bejeweled, and countless hours of worrying about NOT getting in.  Damn, that's a shitty way to spend an entire year.  Don't get me wrong, I am so glad that it all resulted in an admit (and hopefully a couple more), but on the real, I miss my life!  Like, my actual life.  I know this may be hard to believe because all I've talked about for the last year is applying to business school, but there is so much more to me than the pursuit of an MBA.  Not for nothing, but I am a kick ass chick and I really haven't kicked ass the way I like to kick ass all year.

So what wasn't I doing while I was devoting my life to the application process?  Well, I was NOT running marathons (which is probably the reason why these 20lbs seem stuck to my ass and thighs).  I was NOT taking tae kwon do classes.  I was NOT exploring my no longer new city.  I was NOT making new friends (unless they were on GMAT Club, and that's a damn shame).  I barely dated and even that received a half hearted effort on my part.  I barely shopped.  All in all I just wasn't me.  And I miss me.

Well that's all over now.  I am resurrecting my life for the next 7-8 months before an MBA takes it over again for two years.  I am signed up for the Bayshore Marathon in Traverse City, MI on May 26.  In fact, I'm signing up for a crap load of races this spring.  I will find a weekend tae kwon do class and get my back roundhouse back to being the lethal weapon it once was.  I am going country line dancing.  I taught myself the "Fake ID" line dance from the updated Footloose movie and I'm test driving it on someone's dance floor ASAP.  I am accepting all invitations for social events.  I'm talking fundraisers, parties, live music, poetry nights, happy hours, and more.  I will find new friends in this city and stop insulating myself with the same folks I've known since college.  No longer will I feel guilty for not working on essays 24/7.  No longer will I forgo an evening run to revise an essay about the time my coworker was a stubborn fucktard and the ways I navigated through his tomfoolery.  No longer shall I send unrelenting emails to my recommenders "nicely" reminding them that the application is due in 5 hours and they need to get their shit together and submit their recs.  Nope, never again.  All of that is in the past.  I've got tiiiiiiime on my haaaaands since you've been away, boy! I ain't got no plans, no no no!  But unlike Mary J. I'm not going down.  I'M GOING OUT!!

No comments: